Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Club News > WIB-Seattle News > WIB-Seattle Leadership Spotlight: Amelia Johnson

WIB-Seattle Leadership Spotlight: Amelia Johnson

Featured

WIB-Seattle

Amelia Johnson
Clinical Research Coordinator at the Benaroya Research Institute
YWIB-Seattle Chair

Amelia earned her bachelor’s in biology from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, originally intending to follow a pre-medical school path. However, with a graduation date in 2020, Amelia found herself prioritizing real-world experience over several more years of schooling. “I graduated into the COVID world, and I just wanted to dive in and get experience,” she said. She worked in pharmacovigilance positions at Zymeworks and Jazz Pharmaceuticals before finding her current job at the Benaroya Research Institute, where she coordinates and connects patients with clinical trials. With her experience in her role as a Clinical Research Coordinator, Amelia has further developed a passion for patient care. “I’m always trying to learn more and understand the world around me. Information is powerful and clinical research is all about the newest and most exciting treatments coming out,” she said. “My position, especially, is about working the gap between biotech and patient care, and educating people on what investigational treatments are out there. I’ve found my perfect place in the world.”

In addition to making a huge impact on the lives of the patients with whom she works, Amelia has also built her community by joining WIB-Seattle. Amelia first heard about WIB when a previous Chapter Chair, Katie Smolnycki, came to speak at Zymeworks about WIB-Seattle’s MAPS cohorts. Since she had just graduated in 2020, joining a MAPS group appealed to Amelia as a way to learn more about the pharmaceutical industry. “It was tough trying to figure out the industry while being remote and not being able to get to know anyone in person,” she said. “MAPS was my way to get support with all the new challenges. It’s a very unique community, and I was lucky to be a part of something where it was so easy to meet women with similar experiences.” Some of those experiences include difficulties with gaining the appropriate recognition in the workplace. For Amelia, being young and relatively early in her career has caused tension at times. “There’s some ageism, where people don’t assume you’re a leader,” she said. “From personal experience, people continuously underestimate young women and their roles. On multiple occasions, I have been misidentified as an intern, even when I’m right next to coworkers in the same role.”

Volunteering on the WIB-Seattle board has helped Amelia not only feel supported by women who have experienced similar issues early in their careers but also has given her the opportunity to expand her skill set. “Being on the board has built my confidence and shown me that I’m a player in this industry. I’ve gained a lot of professional skills that I probably would have to figure out on my own if it weren’t for this organization,” she said. “There are a lot of people who can offer advice, and that’s helped me figure out the business side of work beyond just knowing the science.” As the YWIB Chair, Amelia leads a team coordinating events for K-12 kids in Seattle and the surrounding suburbs. “Leading the committee is learning how to organize and motivate people. I am getting better at delegating tasks and understanding what our volunteers are excited about,” she said. “That’s something I’m personally working on lately… how do I find out what people want to do and figure out a way to make it happen?”

Amelia has also developed an ambitious mindset when it comes to embracing what WIB has to offer for new members and members who are early in their careers. “At this point, my advice would be to say YES to new opportunities. Even if you don’t fully understand the opportunity at first, ask questions, and you might be surprised! And if you’re really interested in something, absolutely go for it!” she said. “WIB offers events for women at all stages of their careers. It is the perfect place to start or continue building your network in Seattle’s life sciences industry. If you have ideas for events you’d like to see, definitely let us know!”

We are so grateful for Amelia’s leadership of the YWIB Committee and for organizing so many great events within the community successfully! Her creativity, passion for connecting people, and constant pursuit of community have made her an invaluable asset to the WIB-Seattle leadership team.

Submitted by Mariana Huben

Similar stories

OUR MISSION

Women In Bio is an organization of professionals committed to promoting careers, leadership, and entrepreneurship of all women in the life sciences.

WIB membership and events are inclusive of all who support our mission.

CONTACT US

info@womeninbio.org
(877) 717-5273

womeninbio.org

STAY CONNECTED

This website is powered by
ToucanTech