Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Club News > WIB-Capital Region News > WIB-Capital Region 2023–2024 YWIB Ambassador Spotlight: Melissa T.

WIB-Capital Region 2023–2024 YWIB Ambassador Spotlight: Melissa T.

Melissa T.
2023–2024 YWIB Ambassador
Capital Region Chapter

Tell us about your background (educational)
Hi everyone! My name is Melissa and I was a past ambassador for the Capital Region. I live in Virginia and I am now graduated. I wanted to be involved in YWIB because I believed in the goals the organization had and wanted to make an impact.

What are some of the biggest challenges students still face while trying to pursue careers in life sciences?
Some of the biggest challenges women will face in the life sciences include being treated with respect or being acknowledged for their success. An important part of overcoming some of these challenges is creating a healthy work environment and encouraging creativity.

What is the most exciting and personally fulfilling part of your work right now?
The most fulfilling part of what I’ve done so far with the organization and externally is seeing the scope of impact I can have. You are never too young to make an impact.

What is the best leadership advice you ever received and from whom?
One of my high school teachers told me that to be a leader, you must not just tell people what to do but show them the importance of what needs to be done. This changed my approach to leadership.

What role did mentorship play in helping you to achieve your career goals?
The mentors in my life have allowed me to try new skills and go for the extra milestone. Having mentors is crucial to guide you along the rough routes and push you to become a better version of yourself.

What does success mean to you?
In my opinion, success is the stage in life where you can say you truly made an impact and achieved your life goals. Setting goals can be a way to find your purpose or calling in life. Success is when you reach the best version of yourself and can say you have it all.

How did you find the career path that you are on right now?
Since I just graduated, there are so many career paths life can take me down. My experiences in college and YWIB will help me figure out what I want to focus on in the future.

Tell us how you got involved with Women In Bio, what you do for the organization, and what being a part of WIB means to you.
I heard about YWIB through a friend. I organized two local events in Virginia with Girl Scout groups, and the experience was amazing. I was exposed to new insights, energetic students, and a passion for learning. The enthusiasm of young students in STEM has been the most rewarding part.

What is your dream vacation spot?
Greece

Similar stories

OUR MISSION

Women In Bio is an organization of professionals committed to promoting careers, leadership, and entrepreneurship of all women in the life sciences.

WIB membership and events are inclusive of all who support our mission.

CONTACT US

info@womeninbio.org
(877) 717-5273

womeninbio.org

STAY CONNECTED

This website is powered by
ToucanTech