Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Club News > WIB-Capital Region News > WIB-Capital Region Leadership Spotlight, Geeta Peverada, Chapter Chair

WIB-Capital Region Leadership Spotlight, Geeta Peverada, Chapter Chair

Geeta Peverada

Geeta Peverada
WIB-Capital Region Chapter Chair
Senior Manager, Project Management – Medical Affairs at Amgen

Tell us about your background (both educational and professional).
I am an experienced Program Manager with a passion for bringing life-changing medicines to patients at an expedited speed. I earned my PhD in cancer biology from the University of Wuerzburg in Germany, followed by both post-doctoral and professional research positions at Dana Farber Cancer Institute/Harvard Medical School. I also hold an MBA with a focus on leadership and strategic management from the University of Maryland.

My journey in the Biotech/Pharma industry began as a Quality Control Program Manager at a CDMO (Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization) in Maryland, where I supported multiple Phase I, II, III, and commercial client programs to bring their drugs to the clinic and patients. Currently, I serve as the Senior Manager, Project Management in the Medical Affairs team at Amgen, where I am bridging the gap between R&D and Commercial teams to bring the most accurate and up-to-date scientific messaging to the physicians and patients.

What are your top three tips for women who are just starting their careers?
My top three tips are:

1. Attend online and in-person events in the industry to create a professional network
  2. Focus on your strengths and what experience and expertise will you bring to the role
  3. Invest in continuous learning and professional development by having a growth mindset

What are some of the biggest challenges women still face in the life sciences?
Women still face the following challenges:

1. Lack of recognition at work in spite of putting in more effort than their male counterparts
  2. Having a family and children slows down their career trajectory up the ladder
  3. Gender pay gap wherein women continue to earn less than their male counterparts for similar work and responsibilities

What is the most exciting and personally fulfilling part of your work right now?
The most exciting and personally fulfilling part of my work is being able to drive strategy with executive leadership and impact patients’ journeys and lives. It gives me immense pleasure to use my scientific expertise and management skills to bring diverse teams together to problem solve and provide deliverables that move the needle every day by closing the existing knowledge gap of physicians and providing patients with helpful treatments for their medical conditions.

What is the best leadership advice you ever received, and from whom?
The best leadership advice I have ever received is that influencing without authority is the key to being a successful leader. It was from a faculty member during a leadership class in my MBA program at the University of Maryland. To influence without authority requires immense emotional intelligence and great negotiation skills. I am continuously working to improve these skills.

What role did mentorship play in helping you to achieve your career goals?
Mentorship played a key role in my transition to the industry from academia. I was privileged to be a part of several mentorship programs during my post-doctoral research work at Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School. These mentorship programs provided me with a safe space to discuss and explore opportunities outside of academia. Mentorship from industry professionals gave me the confidence to get a foot in the door.

What does success mean to you?
Success means making an impact on patients’ lives and knowing that my work is making a difference.

How did you find the career path that you are on right now?
I found my current career path through extensive self-reflection, focusing on and cultivating my strengths, and networking in the industry. Various professional organizations (such as WIB) and career development workshops also played a pivotal role in helping me explore and pursue opportunities that were aligned with my values and career development path.

Tell us how you got involved with Women In Bio, what you do for the organization, and what being a part of WIB means to you.
I got involved with WIB in 2019 when I was gearing up for my transition to the industry from academia. WIB was a top hit in my searches for “best networking organization in the life sciences.” I started in a leadership role immediately after becoming a WIB member. My first role was as the HERstory Gala Planning Chair for 2020. I was then invited to take on the Chapter’s Vice Chair role in 2021. Currently, I am serving as the Chapter’s Chair. Being a part of WIB means empowering and elevating women in the life sciences industry. I am honored to have this opportunity to lead the Capital Region Chapter and create opportunities for women across academia and industry to network, grow personally and professionally, and provide them a platform to learn about the limitless opportunities in the industry.

What is your dream vacation spot, and why?
My dream vacation spot is Greece. I grew up watching the beautiful beaches and resorts from Greece in Bollywood movies. I would love to go there and enjoy those beautiful beaches at a resort for at least a week!

Similar stories

OUR MISSION

Women In Bio is an organization of professionals committed to promoting careers, leadership, and entrepreneurship of all women in the life sciences.

WIB membership and events are inclusive of all who support our mission.

CONTACT US

info@womeninbio.org
(877) 717-5273

womeninbio.org

STAY CONNECTED

This website is powered by
ToucanTech