Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Club News > WIB-Capital Region News > WIB-Capital Region 2023–2024 YWIB Ambassador Spotlight: Logan T.

WIB-Capital Region 2023–2024 YWIB Ambassador Spotlight: Logan T.

Logan T.
2024 YWIB Ambassador
Capital Region Chapter

Tell us about your background.
I am a rising senior at Richard Montgomery High School in Rockville, Maryland. I am also part of the International Baccalaureate program within my school and I take all IB or AP classes. This previous year, I was a member of Young Women In Bio as a representative of the Capital Region. During this time, I both learned and taught biology to young members of my community. Finally, I am a fellow of the Sandra Lee Heyman Fellowship, where I am directly connected to pioneers of various scientific fields. 

What are some of the biggest challenges students still face while trying to pursue careers in life sciences?
Inequity is one of the biggest challenges students face while trying to pursue careers in life sciences. Sadly, students from disadvantaged backgrounds may not have access to adequate resources and education to attempt a science-focused career path. These students are more likely to get education from places that may not have the same assets as wealthier institutions, limiting their students’ growth opportunities. While education is modernizing its approach to equity, with the FAFSA and other opportunities becoming present to poorer students, those seeking careers may still find themselves at a loss, especially if there are no chances to find success in their areas. 

What is the most exciting and personally fulfilling part of your work right now?
Right now, I am attempting to install higher-quality solar panels on my school’s roof. While I know that this project will not be completed upon my graduation, I am hoping to increase engagement with climate-related topics through a column in my school newspaper. I am most excited to connect my community to current issues as well as increase knowledge about volunteer opportunities or other ways to help. 

What is the best leadership advice you ever received and from whom?
In July, I met with the former governor of Vermont, Mr. Peter Shumlin. He told me that when I am speaking to those with opposing viewpoints, the most important things to keep in mind are to be respectful and likable. He said that these two qualities would help ensure that other people listen to what I have to say. 

What role did mentorship play in helping you to achieve your career goals?
As my career has not started yet, I am still building connections with my peers and taking the time to learn about what mentorship is and what I want from a mentor. I found some mentors at the Columbia Climate School during a two-week program there, and they helped me narrow my focus from a global perspective to a local one, enabling me to create my solar panel project. They also taught me the importance of collaboration and how we will always find more success if we work with others within and outside of our communities. 

What does success mean to you?
To me, success means achieving something that you are proud of and that you know you put maximum effort into. 

How did you find the career path that you are on right now?
I decided to study environmental science in the future because I am very connected with the nature around me and feel a need to protect and maintain it for future generations. I also have a deep care for animals and want to ensure the longevity of as many species as possible. While my career hasn’t started yet, I know that I want to do something that helps as many people and animals as possible. 

Tell us how you got involved with Young Women In Bio, what you do for the organization, and what being a part of WIB means to you. 
I found YWIB through my father, who recommended that I join the program in order to learn more about biology. During my time in the organization, I taught fifth graders about evolutionary biology and also created an informative documentary about my local forest. To me, YWIB represents a chance for all girls, regardless of background, to learn about biology and connect with professionals. 

What is your dream vacation spot, and why?
My dream vacation spot is Puerto Rico because I love the sun!

Submitted by Nhung Hoang

Similar stories

OUR MISSION

Women In Bio is an organization of professionals committed to promoting careers, leadership, and entrepreneurship of all women in the life sciences.

WIB membership and events are inclusive of all who support our mission.

CONTACT US

info@womeninbio.org
(877) 717-5273

womeninbio.org

STAY CONNECTED

This website is powered by
ToucanTech